Friday 26 October 2018

53 WOJNY (53 WARS)

Watchable. The depiction of the stress of being a war correspondent's wife results in constant hysteria on the screen. Apparently the family constituted the safety vent for the husband, while she did not have that safety net. The symptoms of her combat stress are depicted but no explanation of the causes of such a reaction is provided. At least varied shots make it easy to watch. And even humour has sneaked in in the attempted divorce scene: "Są państwo zdecydowani?" "A, nie, ja tylko tak przyszedłem, bo żona prosiła." ("Are you determined?" "Ah, no, I just came because my wife asked me to.")


BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY


Recommended. Like Queen said it, "it's a masterpiece". The movie starts and ends together with credits so it's important not to miss a second. "Don't Stop Me Now" is played over the end credits and I didn't want it to stop. Actually, at the screening I was at the movie was looped and we genuinely felt like watching it all over again. Rami Malek has as much charisma as real Freddie Mercury did. He's so cute, I hope to see him in such roles more. It has some witty lines, e.g. after he's sung to his prospective band, who had turned him down just before, "I'll consider your proposal." I remember Queen well from the 80s but preferred a different band then. I've become a fan now! The songs are original by Queen, not Rami Malek. I felt like humming the music afterwards. The film charts more than the charts. In fact it does an amazing job showing the creative process, makes fun of a producer who failed to see wood for the trees, presents top quality songs, but also ups and downs of his private life, including the terminal disease. But the finale's cheerful. It doesn't exploit the depressing potential. 
"We are the champions (...) and we'll keep on fighting 'til the end" is more of the movie motto. Bryan Singer knows how to build a story.

No comments: