Wednesday 6 September 2017

PTAKI ŚPIEWAJĄ W KIGALI (BIRDS ARE SINGING IN KIGALI)

Watchable. Wooden acting ruins the fascinating premise of Rwandan genocide. In a bigger part the movie's about dealing with a trauma and laws on refugee status. Not much about the conflict. The limited colour palette and the choice of the range of shades make it look dull.

DYRENE I HAKKEBAKKESKOGEN (IN THE FOREST OF HUCKYBUCKY)

Watchable. As a child I never liked songs in films and I didn't quite fancy muppets. The first half an hour follows the song-scene-song-scene pattern which only later develop into a story with fewer songs and said singing, at least in the Polish dubbing, sounds just awful. However, when you turn a deaf ear to it, you notice bright, cheerful colours and later get hooked on the story of true friendship. I wonder if the tale was created by a vegetarian because in this forest even carnivores go veggie.

Seen at my local Cinema City. I was the only viewer - not sure whether due to the school year or the virtual lack of advertisment preceding the release of the movie.

TARAPATY (DOUBLE TROUBLE)

Recommended. A movie like the ones I loved watching in childhood. And I still enjoyed it a lot as an adult. No, there are no serious subtexts. While it's psychologically true, with children often seen as a nuisance, their opinions and needs ignored, the director doesn't dig into it. It's purely entertaining. Very well scripted and acted by adults and children alike. Intriguing storyline, funny dialogues, e.g. an aunt asking her niece for a photo ID before opening the door for her. The gang was brilliant too - who they were and what they were like. I had fun and would love to see a sequel with the same kids, aunt, gang and police. I only found the music annoyingly Polish. The rest is top notch amusement.

The book, of the same title, is based on the script and contains a number of original dialogues.


No comments: