Thursday 8 June 2023

MY YEAR OF DICKS

Watchable. An animated Academy Award nominee. An ordinary, yet realistic story of how losing virginity happens in real life, in varied, all expressive, animation styles. Hardly interesting though.

Seen online, cinematic reception might differ.

STRANGER AT THE GATE

Watchable. Oscar-nominated documentary. Dull, just talking heads, moral preaching.

Seen online, cinematic reception might differ.

THE 2023 OSCARS GALA

I saw it on the very night from a live stream, took down notes, just editing them with a delay. Here come: my reactions to who won, the best jokes and the worst disruptions.
Brettygood.com worked from 1 a.m. CET. I missed the first few minutes since I tried YT which was taken down. 
"This year is all about diversity and inclusion: we have nominees from every corner of Ireland". Jimmy Kemmel said "everyone loved "Top Gun: Maverick". 3.5 hours, all 23 categories back. Before the ceremony Best Picture had gone to "All Quiet on the Western Front"
Best Animated Picture - "Pinocchio" which I haven't seen, Guillermo del Toro put me off, I guess it's as dark as always.
"James Cameron has directed 3 billion dollar movies"
Best Supporting Actor and Actress - Ke Huy Quan, for "Everything Everywhere All At Once", who said he had started his life on a refugee boat, next in a refugee camp. The music "Take Me Back to Hong Kong" muted out the ending of his speech - this year the only live stream I found came from an obnoxious racist. And Jamie Lee Curtis, whose career started with "Halloween", for "Everything Everywhere All At Once". I didn't like the movie.
Now Bollywood music is muting out the singer. I'm looking for another streaming. Refreshing helped after I had tried to find a Pro7 stream unsuccessfully.
Documentary Feature - I was rooting for "Fire of Love", "Navalny" won, I haven't seen it unfortunately. The protagonist remains in solitary confinement, his wife spoke. 
Live Action Short Film - I haven't seen any, "An Irish Goodbye" won.
What is that "The Little Mermaid" trailer for? What a mess. It has nothing to do with Oscars. 
Cinematography - I hoped for "Empire of Light" but "All Quiet on the Western Front" is fine too.
Makeup and Hairstyling - I hoped against "The Batman", "The Whale" won for the first time all-digital prosthetics.
My fave Margot Robbie on stage! 
Warner Brothers commercial. Sponsors of the ceremony, I'm guessing.
A donkey's on stage - my first association was with "Io" ("Eo") but she was from "The Banshees of Inisherin". 
Costume Design announced with jokes about actors taking their costumes home - "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever" won.
Another disruption. And back to hear the first song from an Indian movie to be nominated. I loved the song and dance "Naatu".
The President of the Academy Jenny Galante advertised the world's largest movie museum: The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures (academymuseum.org). 
International Feature - I rooted for "Close" and "All Quiet on the Western Front" and the latter won. 
Documentary Short Film - "The Elephant Whispers" which I haven't seen, I loved the younger winner's dress. Some disturbance muted out her speech.
Animated Short - "The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse" which I haven't seen. The winner joked: "It's customary to say thank you. But I'm British so I'm more comfortable saying sorry."
Now Lady Gaga's song muted out by something else. 
Production Design - I hoped for "Avatar: The Way of Water", "All Quiet on the Western Front" won.
Original Score - also "All Quiet on the Western Front".
Visual Effects - "Avatar: The Way of Water" deservedly.
A viewer's question for Colin Farrell: "I loved your performance in "The Banshees of Inisherin" My question is: What were you saying in the movie?"
Original Screenplay - "Everything Everywhere All At Once".
Adapted Screenplay - "Women Talking" which I haven't seen.
Sound - "Top Gun: Maverick" deservedly.
Original Song - "Naatu Naatu" from "RRR", I'm elated!
In Memoriam - the first time I've seen what Wolfgang Petersen or Vangelis looked like, not faces you'd recognise.
Editing - "Everything Everywhere All At Once", it's Paul Rogers' second movie. Jimmy Kimmel: "he made the whole thing tripping on ayahuasca."
Originally the awards were separate for Comedy and Drama. Directing - "Everything Everywhere All At Once" as expected.
"We've come such a long way that two men can share one Oscar." 
Halle Berry mentioned actors can draw inspiration from their costumes. Best Actor in a Leading Role - Brendan Fraser in "The Whale". He's panting as if he were morbidly obese for real.
Actress in a Leading Role -  杨紫琼 (Michelle Yeoh) in "Everything Everywhere All At Once". She looks younger than her character or even her 60 self so I'm starting to understand the phenomenon.
Harrison Ford announced Best Picture - "Everything Everywhere All At Once" unfortunately.

No comments: