Wednesday 7 July 2021

FRITZI - EINE WENDEWUNDERGESCHICHTE (FRITZI - A REVOLUTIONARY TALE)

Recommended. It's based on the children's book "Fritzi war dabei" but throughout this deeply moving animated tale, I kept analyzing whether it was meant for kids at all. Set in 1989, it tells of a German girl of the same age I was in back then. I also had a foxterrier and I loved going to Sassnitz in Insel RĂ¼gen on holidays where I stayed at Kinderferienlager Juri Gagarin. In the film, Fritzi attends Juri Gagarin Schule. So on the one hand, I guess it may appeal to the now-adults who remember those days, on the other, the heavy political subject, which reminded me both of women's protests in Poland not so long ago and of also animated "Persepolis", feels too serious for the little'uns. At the same time, the events are shown through a schoolgirl's eyes and the very animation style is perfectly suitable for all ages. The tale is captivating though woeful most of the time which is softened by the delightful dog, appearing also in the end credits.

No comments: