Sunday 25 April 2021

THE 2021 OSCARS GALA

Only http://freetvstream.in/de/tv/pro7.php worked this year on time. Brettygood.com joined shortly afterwards too but then switched to a different streaming at some point.

The gala started with references to black people's protests and the pandemic. Most nominees and their families are maskless at the venue because: "Everyone's been vaxxed, tested, socially isolated, re-tested." They are seated in small family groups at separate tables.

After introductions highlighting the backgrounds of the nominees, instead of usual jokes, "Promising Young Woman" wins the "Best Original Screenplay" - just as I hoped. 

Adapted Screenplay - "The Father" - I'll have to see it finally. Unlike in the last few years, this time I failed to see most of the nominated movies, part of it was on purpose. I do hope to see them all once cinemas re-open. The winner was live in Sydney. 

Laura Dern handed in the award for the International Feature Film. Vinterberg entered the stage dancing "Druk" ("Another Round") style and admitted he had always imagined the moment. He described his movie as being about letting go the control in your life and celebrating life. I loved the dancing scene in the picture but the rest was just fine. I haven't seen its competitors. 

Laura Dern continued with Actor in a Supporting Role. She's also focusing on nominees' backgrounds. No jokes. Daniel Kaluuya for "Judas and the Black Messiah" - again, I haven't seen the movie but I liked the actor in his earlier roles. His speech wasn't impressive.

I love Pro7 commercials - most are the Oscar-nominated movie trailers.

Makeup and Hairstyling - I hoped for "Emma". Disappointingly, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" - which I haven't seen - won. The winner thanked black ancestors who would often not even be admitted in schools, for their effort.

Costume Design - also "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom".

Humanitarian Award since it's a pandemic year: MPT (Motion Picture and Television) Fund who supported the freelancers of the industry.

봉준호 (Bong Joon Ho), right from Seoul, in Korean, consecutively interpreted from there as well, mentioned among others that the "Promising Young Woman" director, Emerald Fennell, asked at 8 what she wanted to become, said she wanted to write murder stories. Then he announced the Directing award: "Nomadland" - one I expect to see at the cinema shortly. 

Sound - I hoped for "Soul", though expected "Sound of Metal" and "Sound of Metal" it is.

Live Action Short Film: "Two Distant Strangers" - haven't seen. The winner says that on average, the police kill 3 people per day, disproportionately often black people.

Reese Witherspoon Animated Short Film... I hope not "Burrow". Luckily "If Anything Happens I Love You". Still, surprising it's not Disney. The winning film's about deaths from gun violence though.

Reese is presenting the Best Animated Feature Film... I've only seen "Soul" and "Farmageddon" and loved "Soul". Some nominees are at the BFI in London or in Kilkenny, Ireland. "Soul" wins. What a relief. "It started as a love letter to jazz" - I'm happy it went beyond the style of music I don't quite like. Exploring "the purpose of life" is so much better. 

Documentary Short Subject - most are heavy topics. "Colette" wins, it's on a person who ended up in a Nazi concentration camp. Others told stories of a hospital in war-torn Yemen or Hongkong protests.

Documentary Feature - I haven't seen any but hope for "My Octopus Teacher" to win, as it would highlight how intelligent the animals are. And it wins! Filmed in an ocean forest in South Africa, it also makes this year's Oscars about the most international ever. Coupled with some gala attendees abroad of course.

Steven Yeun's joke about his mum taking him to "Terminator" when he was 7 and acting as if she had meant him to see such a movie is the first that made me laugh. And one of few so far. "Tenet" wins Visual Effects. I remember loving the movie, don't recall the effects.

Brad Pitt is announcing the Best Actress in a Supporting Role - succinctly and mispronouncing: 윤여정 (Youn Yuh-Jung - as the English misspelling goes) awarded for "Minari". And she felt "honoured to meet him".

Halle Berry, with a hairstyle making her look old, introduced the nominees for the Best Production Design. I haven't seen any. "Mank" wins.

Cinematography - I would have loved "The Trial of the Chicago 7" but it's "Mank" which I haven't seen that wins. And I can't hear the winner's speech since the stream is breaking up. Refreshing doesn't help.

Harrison Ford read editorial notes he got after "Bladerunner" which helped him understand how important Editing is, "not for the faint of heart". In this category, I hoped for "The Trial of the Chicago 7" but "Sound of Metal" won. The editor's from Denmark. Truly, an international ceremony. And his speech is breaking up again.

Another Humanitarian Award. The winner, Tyler Perry from BET, gives a moving speech about "refusing hate".

Zendaya announces the Best Original Score: "Soul" and I'm happy about the win.

Original Song: "Fight for You" from "Judas and the Black Messiah".

A surprise game of whether a piece was an Oscar winner, nominee or neither: "Purple Rain", "Last Dance" by Donna Summer etc. Boring.

In Memoriam - "we live forever through what we give".  "Lives lost to Covid" and "to violence" are mentioned before the list of the deceased industry people.

Best Picture: I hoped for "The Trial of the Chicago 7" or "Promising Young Woman" but "Nomadland" won - well, I've yet to see it. Frances McDormand asks viewers to watch it on the biggest screen possible. 

Renée Zellwegger enters to the music of "Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds. Actress in a Leading Role: not my favourite Carey Mulligan. Frances McDormand wins.

Actor in a Leading Role: Anthony Hopkins - I haven't seen "The Father" but liked him in earlier roles. 

No comments: