Saturday 14 November 2020

HUMAN DOC FESTIVAL ONLINE

I was going to preview the documentaries before the festival. I've found 24 films I haven't seen yet. In fact, I can only skip "Oni nie znajÄ… naszej sztuki" ("They don’t know our art. Graffiti in Kenya") from last year's Afrykamera which I saw and reviewed then. However, for technical reasons, I haven't been able to start watching those films yet. 

UKRAINA! FILM FESTIVAL ONLINE

Here too, I'm waiting for a chance to catch up with one last movie of the festival - extended till the end of the month. In the meantime, I've decided to some up this year's event. Firstly, the contents: 21st century and just behind our border a war has been going on for 5 years. The festival brings it home reminding us over and over again about lives in a war zone. Hard to imagine for most Europeans and it's a daily bread for several young people whose lives have been irreversibly changed by politics somewhere high above them, unnoticeable to them while they're just continuing the struggle day by day. Secondly, the viewing experience: all movies are loud, perfectly audible from a computer without extra loudspeakers. Subtitles look best when placed on a black backdrop below the picture which isn't always the case so reading them is a problem at times. I skipped meetings and, on top of movies, tried to enjoy the gig - didn't quite work out though, I couldn't stand Gordiy Starukh's music.

No comments: