Monday 23 November 2020

HUMAN DOC FESTIVAL ONLINE

First, I was unable to see the films sent to me beforehand so I ended up watching the festival in real time. Now I've realised the films can be seen only at given times, like at the cinema, and upon registration - no idea why. I'm upset already. Then I got late because of my classes, then it took a few minutes and technical glitches to register so I've decided to write only about the film I managed to see in full:

SIDIK EN DE PANTER (SIDIK AND THE PANTHER)

Watchable. Plenty of stunning mountain views - at varying times of day and night and different seasons - match the magnificent task of finding the elusive panther inhabiting the mountains of north Iraq. Tragic stories of Saddam's regime fighting the Kurdish minority and of ISIS executions are mentioned occasionally. But this slow-paced movie is filled with the love of nature and calm. Even a violent confrontation with a poacher appears peaceful. Mountain vistas with animals and seemingly tiny locals cultivating old legends are majestic. Some daily life situations. e.g. a kid talking about butterflies, are needless. And the lecture at the end out of the blue suddenly creates chaos in this simple narration. I gather the man hasn't found the predator himself but such bits disturb the cohesion of the story. 

Apart from this one, I partly saw two other films. Each was very quiet and had small, barely visible subtitles, even the one which had black space below the picture. That means you can't watch them from a distance.

No comments: