Sunday 9 February 2020

THE 2020 OSCARS GALA

This year https://www.brettygood.com is working from the opening song and dance performance, which in the lyrics, music and attires recollects this year's movies, nominated and not. So are the white and black non-hosts of the commencement. 

I loved the joke about the progress in nominating blacks - we've got 1 black nominee this year. And Steve Martin and Chris Rock have an "amazing time no-hosting". And they loved "the first season" of "The Irishman" - not surprising a joke since binge-watching of a series lasts sometimes as long as the Scorsese's movie alone.

Brad Pitt wins Supporting - not bad, my second fave.

I had a feeling right before announcing that "Toy Story 4" would get Best Animated Feature, 'cause it's time after so many movies in the series. And it's Pixar again, obviously. The same with "Hair Love" - Pixar too. This happens when mostly Disney votes.

I'd prefer just the original version of "Into the Unknown" - I hate dubbing, especially in songs.

"기생충" ("Parasite") wins Original Screenplay - it's OK, in this category I mean. And Taika Waititi too - Adapted - what for?! The story's rubbish!

Live Action Short - "The Neighbors' Window" - I'll have to see it.

At least Production Design for "Once upon a Time... in Hollywood" like I wanted. 

The song announcing Costume Design is a brilliant compilation of lyrics relating to outfits. "Little Women" as I hoped.

Documentary Feature - sadly "American Factory", OK, I admit I haven't seen it but still, it seems just so biased towards America. Short "Learning to Skate in a Warzone (if you're a Girl)" - another one for me yet to see.

Supporting Actress - Margot Robbie touched me in the movie fragments but Laura Dern wins, overall probably a little bit better.

What a wonderful compilation of songs together with the movie scenes, goes back to the 1980s and includes my all time favourite "Back to the Future".

Sound Editing for "Ford v Ferrari" - great! Sound Mixing for "1917" unfortunately though.

An actress: "Not only is it the cinematographer who prepares meals for the crew but also the cinematographer and cinematographer only knocks on the trailer door and tells us it's time to go out and create magic." "1917" wins, unfortunately. Editors cut her out of "1917" and "Parasite" that "was originally in". "Ford v Ferrari" wins - fantastic!

Why do they even remind us of those revolting "Cats" with the presenters' costumes?! Anyway, "1917" wins - for a movie looking like a computer game?!

A middle-aged actress states she's 87 so can't overestimate makeup and hairstyling. Surprisingly, "Bombshell" wins. 

In the meantime, I'm impressed most of the commercials in the intermissions on ABC are movie-based. 

International Picture unsurprisingly "Parasite", I preferred one of other two but it's not the worst win either. I even feel moved seeing the crew stand up to an applause from all sides. 

I like teasing journalists with the remark that the fight club loser will answer the question of how it is to be a woman in Hollywood. 

"Joker" has the best Original Score - I'm elated. The female composer won even though a female director poorly rendered her music just before. 

Sadly, Song goes to Elton John for "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" instead of my fave "Into the Unknown".

Directing - "Parasite" again. Well, could be worse. OK, I truly enjoyed the movie, just preferred other ones to win Oscars. Funnily, Bong Joon-ho had already been preparing to rest. He himself finds Scorsese the best. He also thanked Quentin Tarantino for popularising his movies. He's split his Oscar with "the Texas chainsaw" and share it with others.

This year's tribute to the deceased included Rutger Hauer who left an indelible mark on me drawing me to movies but they missed Stan Lee - not too much of a film person for them?

Olivia Coleman: "Last year was the best night of my husband's life".

Actor in a Leading Role - Joaquin Phoenix for "Joker" - I rooted for someone else but Joaquin Phoenix was amazing too. And what an astonishing vegan speech. He also mentioned his late brother.

Janelle Monáe in the audience in a dress sparkling in colours like gemstones, earlier Hildur Guðnadóttir had a similar top in hers, but more elaborate.

Actress - all nominations for strong-headed characters, apart from "Judy", fighting for their rights - Renée Zellweger wins as I hoped and expected. In her speech, you can hear her own voice is much different from the character's she impersonated. She's wearing an amazing dress looking like ice on an ice-skating rink.

Picture - "Parasite" - hard to believe Koreans win. Hahaha.

3,5 hours in total like last year, from 2 to 5:30 a.m. Polish time.

No comments: