Tuesday 6 August 2019

SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK

I've seen it already but am not allowed to review before Thursday night. So the post is coming then.

THE LION KING

Recommended. A linguist's delight since the movie's rich in languages, accents and the dialogues contain lots of English puns. It's funny at times, e.g. Simba's first attempt at a roar. All positive characters are cute. The story's harrowing at some point and reduced me to tears which reminded me that was why I never became a fan of the original. Having mentioned that, Rafiki's name never gets a mention in the new one. I loved the African music bits more than the western ones but it's the power of the Shakespearian story that makes the impact. The inspirations are clear in the plot and also can be heard in the language and in the posh pronunciation of the royal parents and uncle.

No comments: