Sunday 24 February 2019

OSCARS 2019

Apparently ABC streams payably only this year. Finnish YLE is worth checking. So far usual Pro7 is working in Poland - http://freetvstream.in/de/tv/pro7.php 

I hoped for one of the two "The Favourite" actresses to win Best Supporting Actress but, I guess the choice was too hard for the Academy so black Regina King, good but still on the politically correct side, won.

I'm happy "Of Fathers and Sons" did not win the documentary category. 

Americans of "Vice" won Makeup and Hairstyling, instead of "Grans" ("Border") which I rooted for.

At least Ruth Carter won Costume Design for "Black Panther" but she thanked Spike Lee and not Stan Lee.

Another black win - Production Design and Set Decoration for "Black Panther" - not my choice but at least not "Roma".

Oh, no! "Roma" beat "Cold War" in Cinematography. The worst I could hear tonight.

"Game of Thrones" made it into a joke at the gala, in a song introduction.

Sound Editing - "Bohemian Rhapsody". Good. And Sound Mixing too. What a relief.

I keep hearing the gala first as the picture is delayed. But just a bit.

Queen Latifah about "The Favourite": "It's not easy to be Queen".

Javier Bardem announced the Foreign Language category in Spanish which was great but, to my horror, boring "Roma" won it.

I'm not a fan of "Mary Poppins Returns" but I loved the gentleman falling onto the gala stage from the sky hanging on an umbrella and the stage decoration during the song.

"Editing creates suspense, makes an actor look good" but "Bohemian Rhapsody" won Editing as I hoped in my opinion for masterful arranging of the order.

Mahershala Ali - one of my hopes for Actor in a Supporting Role.

Animated Feature - Spidey. I did hope for "Isle of Dogs".

And now that another song is playing, my connection broke. Surprise, surprise, https://www.brettygood.com/ has suddenly worked. And with picture and sound on time too. And in better quality.

Animated Short - Disney as usual: "Bao".

No Doc Short award for "Lifeboat". What a shame. But now, that the trailer of "Period. End of Sentence" trailer is showing in the commercial break I see how appalingly ignorant both men and women in India are about menstruation, e.g. a boy in the doc: "It's an illness which happens mostly to women."

Visual Effects announced by an actress in a special dress. "First Man" won deservedly even if I hoped for "Christopher Robin" instead.

"Shallow" sounds wonderful sung by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga on stage. He actually sounds better than her. 

I haven't seen any of the live action short docs so can't comment.

Yes! Nick Vallelonga et al. "Green Book" Original Screenplay.

And yes again! Spike Lee - Adapted Screenplay "BlacKkKlansman". And reminding "the 2020 presidential election is round the corner (...) let's be on the right side of history."

"Black Panther" Best Original Score - I agree. The composer is, surprisingly, white.

Original Song "Shallow" - fine.

Barbra Streisand: "Truth is especially precious this days."

Christian Bale is skinny again. 

My greatest joy this night - Rami Malek Best Actor in a Leading Role. And the speech about how "we long for stories" like the one about "a gay immigrant" who "lived his life unapologetically." Rami is first generation American, his parents came from Egypt. 

The elderly black congressman's voice is trembling when talking about the 60s segregation.

Lady Gaga did not win. What a pity. Olivia Colman was fine but I rooted for Lady Gaga all along. Glenn Close ("The Wife") has been Olivia's idol for years. And Olivia "used to work as a cleaner".

Oh, no! Alfonso Cuaron Best Director for that boring "Roma" movie.

Never-aging Julia Roberts announces "Green Book" Best Picture. What a relief it's not "Roma".

On the whole I'm satisfied with the ceremony: no host, no selfies or pizzas, but politics and inside jokes abound. 3,5 hours in total.

No comments: