Sunday 4 March 2018

OSCARS 2018

Only about 5 minutes late (past 2 a.m. Polish time) since Pro Sieben froze but ABC has worked on https://www.brettygood.com/

Jimmy Kemmel about 2018: "The year men screwed up so badly women started dating fish".

I was rooting for Willem Dafoe to win Best Supporting Actor. He didn't. Sam Rockwell did. He would have been my second choice.

Amazing Gal Gadot's presenting the Make-up and Hairstyling. My fave "Darkest Hour" wins. My fave costumes were in "Victoria & Abdul", yet the not-so-special "Phantom Thread" has won.

Of the nominated Documentary Features I've only seen "Last Men in Aleppo". "Icarus" has won so I need to catch up.

"At the very first Academy Awards the Best Picture Oscars were given for 2 pictures. This is kind of what we did last year."

Sound Editing - my guess was "Dunkirk". No surprise here. Sound mixing should be the same. Of course it is. I hated it but it did stand out.

Kumail Nanjiani unfunny again, just like in "The Big Sick". Production Design for the magnificent "Shape of Water", just like I hoped.

Foreign Language Film - "Una Mujer Fantastica" ("A Fantastic Woman") was great, still I preferred "On Body and Soul" and it was my strong favourite.

Actress In A Supporting Role - Allison Janney. Yeah!

Animated Feature Film - "Coco" unsurprisingly. But they're emphasizing the importance of Mexican culture. Is it political then? I just loved the enchanting, luminous animation.

Visual Effects - Ego's Planet blew me away it's "Blade Runner 2049" that's won.

Film Editing - oh, no, "Dunkirk"?! Not "I, Tonya"?! OK, I guess aerial photography may be hard to put together.

Jimmy Kemmel's thanking "the movie-going public". First from the stage. Now in person at the cinema across the road. With baskets filled with unhealthy sweet or meaty snacks. And a member of the public's introducing next presenters.

Live Action Short Film - "The Silent Child". An excellent short film but a surpring choice. I expected the more American "DeKalb Elementary" would win. The main adult actress is signing simultaneously to speaking her acknowledgements.

Isn't Salma Hayek wearing the most beautiful dress tonight? I love the way it shimmers. Nicole Kidman's creative and elegant. But Salma's nicer.

Best Adapted Screenplay - James Ivory for "Call Me by Your Name". Yes!
Original Screenplay: Jordan Peele for "Get Out". Well deserved.

Cinematography - "Blade Runner 2049". Not "The Shape of Water"?!

"This Is Me" reminds me of how ice dancers performed to it at the Pyeongchang Olympics. I loved it but now I find "The Mystery of Love" even more heart-gripping.

An advert interrupted my viewing. I can see the Original Score went to "The Shape of Water". Sadly never to "Star Wars".

Original Song - "Remember Me"from "Coco". Oh dear, no wonder Emily Blunt announced it. The song was blunt.

Best Director - I hope for Jordan Peele and it is... Guillermo del Toro for "The Shape of Water" - admittedly another great film.

Actor in a Leading Role. Gary Oldman? Yes! Turns out he's from South London. Has lost his accent. Always considered him American.

Never thought Jodie Foster was so tiny and Jennifer Lawrence so huge.

Actress in a Leading Role. Hope for Margot Robbie. Couldn't recognise her in the audience at first. No, it's Frances McDormand. Even old actresses look stunnigly young. Frances is exceptional as she's kept her hair grey.

Best Picture - so many marvellous ones and "The Shape of Water" is the winner. One of them.

No comments: