Thursday 30 November 2017

TERRA ITALIANA FILM FESTIVAL

IN GRAZIA DI DIO (QUIET BLISS)

Walked out. Supposed to be a comedy but not even remotely funny. The indebted family during a crisis, a loafer daughter, an untalented actress didn't attract me in any other way either.

LA VITA IN COMUNE (THE ARK OF DISPERATA)

Watchable. My heart sank when I realized it was by the same director - Edoardo Winspeare - as the previous one from which I had walked out. This one's still not funny but with endearing characters. The only mildly amusing bit is early on and is connected to the town name - Disperata - a tourist gets the answer to his whereabouts but not understanding it's the name he tries to console the inhabitants. The later part with a criminal turning into a poet and an inept town mayor were charming. They created an atmosphere like in Jarmusch's "Paterson". The monk seal towards the end is my favourite though.

No comments: