Friday 6 October 2017

LOVING VINCENT/TWÓJ VINCENT

Watchable. I'm a great fan of Van Gogh's painting style and expected to be mesmerised by this homage paid to his art. I hadn't known much about his life however. Contrary to my expectations I found the crime story around his puzzling death more interesting than the artistic layer. From what I saw of Van Gogh in London and Amsterdam, the paintings used in the movie weren't very representative, at the same time they hailed from his most famous period characterised by vivid colours, basically they were neither famous, nor did they show his development as an artist. Reminiscences were shown in black and white in a style which didn't resemble Van Gogh's drawings. What's more, his paintings were altered to adjust them to the movie and actors' features were kept. In the plot it's hard to make out who is who. Nevertheless, it was the first time I heard about the riddle of whether he committed suicide or was mugged and murdered.

ZGODA (THE RECONCILIATION)

Watchable. What consent or agreement from the title is the movie actually about? The story of cursed soldiers and their obsession with one woman is very simple. What  struck me was no female nudity in spite of a few scenes of sex and of rape. Just like in "Historia Roja" the cinematography is dark but in "Zgoda" at least you can distinguish the characters.

No comments: