Sunday 20 August 2017

AMERICAN MADE

Recommended. It joins the league of "Lord of War" and "War Dogs": based on true events, about big-time international gun and drug smuggling and a hell of a ride for the viewer. This one is not only great fun but also a presentation of the less known backstage to the rise of the Medellín Cartel, the Iran-Contras and dealings of US government agencies. Authorities of Medellín supported the production. While Tom Cruise plays the leading part, Domhnall Gleeson in the supporting role looks hot and acts disarmingly tongue-in-cheek. Some lines are brilliant e.g."Thank you for coming to see me" when a guy has been kind-of-kidnapped. Very well shot. Barry Seal's demise is accompanied by rapidly fading video footage.

VALERIAN ET LA CITE DES MILLE PLANETES (VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS) AT IMAX 3D

Recommended again. Necessarilly at Imax. Absolutely amazing. I was sitting quite low - in the 5th row and it let me immerse in the universe even better. How on Earth is Luc Besson ever going to beat that? I don't share the director's view that you notice more details every time you see the movie. I did pay better attention to Rutger Hauer, appearing only in one of the initial scenes, and Herbie Hancock, once I learnt it was him. I keep wondering what music genres like bio or nano would be like. I was right expecting the visual layer to gain on a larger screen. Luckily the action kept me on the edge of my seat for quite a while too.

No comments: