Monday 3 October 2016

WOLYN (HATRED)

Watchable. 149 minute long with lots of sidetracking which means I dozed off a few times and, while some sense eventually emerged from the chaos, it's not easy to follow. Story-wise, I mean. Because there are also a number of truly gruesome scenes, due to the subject matter. Like the director and the distributor rightly noticed, the film may be incomprehensible to Westerners. It wasn't 100% understandable to me, either. Part of it lies in the confusion between two languages: both Polish and Ukrainian sound similar. Another thing is that British or American films have one storyline, while Polish ones, annoyingly, stray from the main plot every now and then, trying to put all different vaguely associated bits and pieces into one movie. While both reasons sound true, for me it's also my poor knowledge of Polish history.

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN

Watchable. The story's nothing like what I've seen before. It contains my perennial favourites: time loops, fantastic geography overlapping the real world map, mutants. Miss Peregrine is brilliant: beautiful, sassy, very smart, a perfectionist. It's very well acted by everyone. The created world is peculiar indeed and doesn't steal other authors' ideas. However, it sounds childish, at least in the Polish dubbing and lacks humour. Decent 3D.

I also went to a meeting with one of my fave directors, Jan Jakub Kolski, today and have to say that a person's film-making skills don't have to match their speaking skills. The creator of fascinating films sounded boring.

No comments: