Sunday 2 October 2016

NIE PLACZ KIEDY ODJADE (DON'T CRY WHEN I'M GONE)

Watchable. Made me cry and made me laugh a good few times. A documentary about a woman who survived the Holocaust only to find her whole family annihilated and about the rest of her life being full of joy. She wrote some popular songs, including the eponymous one and was greatly skilled in flirting with men. Both form the basis of the jokes told in the film: e.g. once a friend told her he had seen her song on the back of a bus ("Don't cry when I'm gone"), another time she was lying in hospital bed and when her visiting friends were leaving, one said: "Hang in there." to which she responded: "I'd rather let myself loose." The structure of the movie has some room for improvement. It's a bit chaotic and ends all of a sudden. But these are minor detractions from a very enjoyable film.

No comments: