Monday 5 September 2016

OSTATNIA RODZINA (THE LAST FAMILY)

Watchable. It's very Polish and about quite particular personalities: the Beksinskis. So if you're not familiar with the topics, it may be quite hard. The realities of those times (from 1983 to 2000) are painstakingly rebuilt through scenography although... I remember the 80s as very colourful, not dark in hues of brown like in the film. Dawid Ogrodnik looks and speaks just like Tomek Beksinski. There's a brief footage of "vampire" Wojciech Jagielski interviewing Tomek. The dialogues are filled with absurd humour which somehow isn't amusing in the depressing movie. The whole thing is grim but enlivened with brilliant music: "Don't Go" by Yazoo and "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" by Ultravox.

BRIDGET JONES'S BABY

Watchable. Funny to see it shortly after my 43rd birthday. I can only hope I won't get knocked up! It's very funny, e.g. a guy trying to unfasten Bridget's dress: "How, the hell, am I going to get into this?!" or about two men who where telling her to "think the pain" away during labour: "You have an entire human being to push out of your vagina. I'd love to see them think that away." At the same time the film's very PC and with a tacky ending.

No comments: