Wednesday 10 August 2016

HELL OR HIGH WATER

My No. 1 readers (number-wise) are American so I was happy to hear of the US release in just two days' time (it's coming out as late as September in Poland). So you're getting my review just in time, in spite of being a continent apart.

Recommended. In a quiet, dusty Texan town a woman in a floral dress is going to work. The clean white of the fabric with blue flowers contrasts with the drabness of her surroundings. What looks like a lazy summer afternoon somewhere, is the start of an unusually busy morning in the middle of nowhere. The script is little short of perfection. The criminal scheme, the policemen's banter, the landscapes and the tough folk who inhabit them create a contemporary western. Everyone's seriously tough here, including women, e.g. a waitress: "Steaks cooked medium-rare" "Can I just have...?" "It wasn't a question." Great acting too. My fave Chris Pine's best role ever: from subtle facial expressions to a shaking hand covering a wound. If it were up to me, he'd get an Oscar. In fact he just acts so well you nearly forget about his blue eyes.

NINE LIVES

Recommended. What will send a cat flying across the room? And what will send the owner? When you see a guy in a stylish suit in a flash car in a film you know he's no family guy. The reality is often different from what I can tell about the richest people I've met. Yet here he's a ruthless businessman. This is also where your perfect family film begins. Gentle humour and bright remarks like: "So what? Will he divorce you more?" turn into a hilarious comedy once the guy changes into a... cat.  The cat "could do with a (computer) mouse" to send a message and doesn't like tinned cat food: "I think somebody's eaten it once already." And that's just a small portion of lines and gags that still make me giggle hours later. Very good Polish dubbing this time, too.

No comments: